- 1). Be sure that the headlights are switched off and remain off during the replacement of the headlight.
- 2). Open the hood to the Dodge Ram and approach the headlight assembly with the faulty bulb. If equipped with a fastener cover, remove the three retaining screws with a Phillips-head screwdriver.
- 3). Remove the two headlight assembly retaining screws near the top rear edge of each side of the assembly, using a ratchet and socket.
- 4). Locate the fender plug at the bottom of the headlight assembly near the bumper. Gently pry it off, with a flathead screwdriver.
- 5). Use the ratchet, an extension and the socket to remove the lower headlight assembly retaining screw.
- 6). Unseat the guide pins holding the headlight assembly, by forcing it forward between the grill and the fender. Be careful not to scratch the lens of the headlight assembly or the edge of the fender. Also, be aware that the headlight wire harness is still connected to the headlight.
- 7). Disconnect the wire harness by turning it 1/4 turn counterclockwise from the headlight socket, and then separate it from the headlight.
- 8). Turn the headlight retaining ring collar 1/3 of a turn counterclockwise to release it and the headlight from the headlight assembly.
- 9). Discard the old headlight and then put the latex gloves on.
Open the blister pack of the new headlight and insert the bulb in the retaining collar ring. Align the tabs on the ring with the notches in the back of the headlight assembly. Turn the retaining collar ring 1/3 of a turn clockwise to secure the headlight in the headlight assembly.
Reconnect the wire harness to the bulb socket and then turn it 1/4 turn clockwise to lock it into place.
Test the headlight by turning on the lights before reassembling the headlight assembly. Turn the headlight off after testing.
Reassemble the headlight assembly in its cavity by aligning the guide pins, and then replacing the lower headlight assembly retaining screw and the two upper headlight assembly retaining screws. Replace the fender plug, and the fastener and screws, if applicable.