- 1). Park the Honda CRV and open the hood. Pull the parking brake out.
- 2). Locate the routing diagram for the belt. The routing diagram on the Honda CRV is located on top of the plastic guard that surrounds the radiator or on the underside of the hood. This diagram will be needed to install the new belt.
- 3). Locate the belt tensioner on the front of the engine. The tensioner for the Honda CRV is located above the crankshaft and below the alternator. Look for the component that has a pulley on one end and a spring loaded arm on the other end of the component.
- 4). Rotate the tensioner counter clockwise with the breaker bar and a metric socket. Once the tension is off of the belt, pull the belt out from under the tensioner pulley with your hand. Release the tensioner and remove the breaker bar and socket.
- 5). Remove the belt from the engine area and place it on the ground. Route the new belt onto the crankshaft pulley. Then, route the new belt around each accessory pulley by following the routing instructions on the routing diagram.
- 6). Rotate the tensioner pulley counter clockwise and slide the new belt under the tensioner pulley. Release the tensioner pulley and it will retract until it has pulled all of the slack out of the belt. Look over the belt to make sure it is completely secure inside of all of the accessory pulleys.
- 7). Crank the Honda CRV and let it run for about 15 seconds. Then, shut the motor off and recheck the belt to ensure that it is still inside each pulley. Close the hood.